I love movies. This, of course, is not an earth shattering statement. I mean, it would be nearly impossible to find the guy who doesn't love movies, right? I'm sure he's out there, somewhere. Just like Bigfoot, UFO's, Chupacabra, and honest politicians.
Anyway, being a Dad Blog I thought it would be a fun idea, sticking with my theme, to present a list of my 10 favorite Father-Son movie moments.
I am sure I'll think of a few I missed by the time I publish this, but here they are:
10. The Lion King: Mufasa speaks with Simba. Fatherly advice from The King of the Jungle.
9. A Christmas Story: Classic scene where Ralphie's father finally presents him with a Red Ryder BB Gun.
8. Frequency: I couldn't find a direct link to it, but I really enjoyed the scene where father and son get to speak through time.
7. Mr. Mom: Michael Keaton gives his son a man to man talk. From the 1983 classic.
6. National Lampoon's Vacation: Although not the model of great fathering, Clark Griswold is nonetheless a hilarious father character as witnessed in this classic scene where Rusty shares his first beer with his dad.
5. The Pursuit of Happyness: I haven't actually watched this whole film, but I've seen this clip a few times, and I love it's message.
4. Big Fish: Terrific final scene where the son delivers his father to the next chapter of his life.
3. The Empires Strikes Back: How could a blog titled 'Luke, I am Your Father' not include this scene? One of the most iconic ever filmed.
2. Field of Dreams: I hope that when I am long gone, Lukas will build a ball field which would allow me to come play catch with him. I'll even settle for a backyard, if that is all he can manage.
1. Life is Beautiful: This is a beautiful but heart wrenching movie, and watching this scene again - now that I am a father - brings a whole new range of emotions I didn't have when I originally viewed it.
So, tell me readers, what are your favorite father and child scenes from the movies?