Monday, July 19, 2010

Self Medicated


I have a confession. I am self medicated. And truth be told, an addict.

What's more, I am also over medicating my son. It's shameful and I know instinctively that I should cut back, but I have procured a pipeline to a seemingly endless supply of what some have described as the best medicine on the market.

This stuff is Grade A. Top Shelf really.

Unfortunately much of it does come from questionable sources. plus, being an addict I have been known to push the limits on more than one occasion, much to Mrs. LIAYF's chagrin. Oh, she also dabbles in the stuff from time to time but nothing to the extent that Lukas and I have experimented with.

There are many delicious flavors of this medicine. Lukas' favorite is undoubtedly Raspberry. It really makes him deliriously happy. He always wants more. To keep it safe, I will hold him in my arms before dishing out more. Sometimes I have trouble telling when I've doled out too much. But during that initial high, all is good.

Then things often get goofy. It's funny how when you are on the stuff you are uninhibited and will do things you will regret later. Often I will make a big fool of myself and will wonder "Did I really do that?"

Yes, I did.

I'm aware of the problem, but not too worried about it right now. I know this medicine will be harder to come by as the year's pass. I'll naturally have to cut back my intake. But, to the extent I can, I fully intend to keep feeding as much of it as I can to my son.

I just hope he doesn't build up an immunity.

18 comments:

Kevin said...

I love this!! I can proudly call myself an addict, as well. There is no shame in it. Keep on using.

Ron said...

That just gave me the biggest feel-good grin of the day.

DadStreet said...

Do we need a support group? Great post my friend!

Didactic Pirate said...

#1 sign of an addict: Purple Tongue.

Anonymous said...

I might fall off the wagon real soon.

SciFi Dad said...

My name is SciFi Dad, and it's been 10 days since my last hit.

I'm starting to twitch.

Surfer Jay said...

Ahhh yes,, nothing like a healthy dose of dextrometh...

Hey I dope my boy up with sleeping pills every time he keeps me up.

twistedxtian said...

Awesome! Another addict right here.

Anonymous said...

Love me some NyQuil

Anonymous said...

I know that everyone thinks this is cool but it is actually quite dangerous and children die from this. Please stop doing this now.

Anonymous said...

One more thing - check out the latest article on CNN http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/07/22/drugged.children.parenting/index.html?hpt=T2

James (SeattleDad) said...

Uh, sorry I guess I was trying to be too clever here, because some people (anonymous obviously) didn't realize I was talking about laughter - Always the best medicine.

TweetingDaddy said...

This has got to be one of the best posts I have read in a long time. My family and I are addicts as well and I am happy to say that we have no intention whatsoever to cut the habit any time soon.

After all laughter is the best medicine, isn't it?

Keep up the great work!

Captain Dumbass said...

Can you ever over medicate on raspberry?

LittleBird said...

Thank you for making me smile!

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Love it, but for a minute there I was thinking of calling Dr. Drew on your behalf!

Anonymous said...

:) That is so sweet.
We, too, are addicted.

TechyDad said...

@Captain Dumbass,

You might be able to. I've given my kids their daily dosage (administered under the arms or to their sides) only to have them flail their arms and legs (side effect) and nearly knock me out. So be careful out there while administering this!