I was just asked, for probably the 10,000th time in the past two weeks, “Are you ready for Christmas?”
Are we ready? Hmmm, let’s see…….
1) Put up Christmas Tree – Check!
2) Decorate Tree – Score!
3) Buy outdoor lights – Done!
4) String outdoor lights – Easy Peasy!
5) Hang stockings and Jingle Bells – With care.
6) Pound in nail ‘next to’ new front door for wreath – With one or two swings of my mighty wrist (and a few from Lukas)
7) Christmas music – Got my 5 disc changer loaded with everything from The Nutcracker Suite to The Rev. Horton Heat (We Three Kings)
8) Gifts for Lukas – Yes, after scouring the city. (Red toothbrush for the win!)
9) Gifts for Mrs. LIAYF – Mostly. Getting stocking stuffers this afternoon.
10) Christmas Card mailing list finalized – Did a hatchet job last night on last year’s list. Tip: If you have to ask ‘Who is this?’ It’s time for them to ‘go’.
11) Christmas Newsletter created – Mrs. LIAYF working on it as I type this.
12) Christmas Cards sent – See above. So they get them ‘after Christmas’. It’s the thought that counts, right?
13) Christmas Box mailed to out of State nieces and nephews – Er, once again left in the foyer. I’m a Bad Uncle.
14) Gifts Wrapped for Lukas – No. Honey? Sweets? What, you didn’t think I was actually going to do this myself, did you?
15) Gifts wrapped for Mrs. LIAYF –Not yet. Wondering if I can get away with wrapping these in tin foil, like the anniversary gifts.
So, I guess the answer to the question is…..No, we are not exactly ready for Christmas.
In fact, with being sick for the past month, as well as the final preparations leading up to the opening of Mrs. LIAYF’s new business venture, I've been finding it a bit difficult to get into the holiday spirit.
That was, until this morning. As I was getting ready for work I heard, over the monitor, Lukas wake up happy then promptly break into a toddler rendition of Jingle Bells. Yeah, now I'm in the spirit.
Merry Christmas to all!