Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Underwear Power!

If I had a super power, I would choose Flying.

Wouldn't that be sweet? I could strap Lukas in a backpack carrier and leave the house maybe 5 or 10 minutes before I had to have him at daycare in order to get to work on time, bypassing all the irritating commuters out there who haven't a clue how to drive when the sun comes out, or when it rains...or when it snows for that matter.

I would just have to work out a few of those minor details, such as how high to go without freezing my child, would Lukas sitting in the carrier get tangled in my cape, would I even need to wear a cape to achieve flight (I'm assuming the answer is yes), and mapping a route around air traffic and phone wires. I could go on, but you get my point. You have pondered these very things yourself, right?

On the other hand, maybe Invisibility would be be better. Or Super Strength - strength like The $6 Million Man had (who, adjusted for inflation would be valued at, what, several hundred million or so in today's dollars?). Maybe you can tell that I'm a bit out of date with the whole super powers debate. I have no excuse, other than that 40 is now in my rear view mirror and I have a toddler.

Now Lukas, on the other hand, is only 2 but he knows what power he now possesses. Underwear Power. We have been going full steam ahead with the whole potty training bit recently, making sure that he sits or stands and does his business on a regular basis. He has progressed nicely. Then the other day at school one of his little buddies proclaimed that he had Underwear Power, and Lukas had to possess it too. Apparently the whole peer pressure thing is alive and well in the toddler room.

So, Mrs. LIAYF and I started having Lukas wear underwear to school starting Monday. And the force has proven to be strong with this one, as he had no accidents at school thus far. (I think they are a bit more rigid than we are with scheduled pit stops, as we forgot to have him go at home this evening and an accident ensued. Two to be precise. Our bad). Overall, it is an impressive step ahead in the whole training process. And we are proud of him.

As for me, I would still choose Flying as my super power.

I'll save Underwear Power for when I am a bit older and really need it.

16 comments:

Lady Mama said...

Wow, that's fantastic about the potty training! I'm envious. So, for your next post please can you do a step-by-step guide to potty training, with all your secrets? ;)

My super power would be turning everything I wanted into chocolate. And no, that is not a lame super power.

Anonymous said...

Underwear as a superpower, now that is some solid logic. I'm so going to have to use that when it is time to potty train the little man.

Mrs. M said...

Hmmmmm I usually think "gee it sure would be cool to fly" and leave it at that. I like your in-depth thought process on the matter. Hope your son's pull-up wearing days are behind him for good!

DCUrbanDad said...

Underwear power huh? I think my Dad needs some of that.

SciFi Dad said...

The power in my underpants isn't for going pee.

Whit said...

Clark Kent wears pull-ups.

If I Could Escape . . . said...

What were you saying . . . I stopped reading after the $6 Million Dollar Man . . .

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. We can make him better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

I loved Steve Austin/Lee Majors when I was a wee lassie!! Where is he now?

No, really well done you on the little man's underwear power!

ericdbolton said...

The thing we forget most with my 4y/o daughter is making sure she goes before we go anywhere. She'll tell us she already did.. But that was 3 hours prior..

as for my super power..

telepath..

so i can make stupid people swallow their tongue..

Steve said...

Co-incidentally, this very afternoon Oliver was telling me that he wishes he could fly.

My superpower would be the ability to force people to tell the truth. This would not only be handy in my working life but also when I ask Oliver "was it really only 5 minutes ago that you went to the bathroom?"

Super Mega Dad said...

Awesome news, bud! Welcome to the potty club! It's such a great feeling to not have to change diapers anymore, ain't it?

As far as super powers, I think I would prefer teleporting over flying...MUCH quicker to daycare. :)

Knatolee said...

Lukas is seriously going to kill you for this post when he is 15. HAHAHAHAHA! ;)

But really, who knew there was underwear peer pressure amongst toddlers? Fascinating!

morethananelectrician said...

I think is was the movie "The Incredibles" that let us know that a cape wasn't necessary to be a super hero. Actually it was more of a problem and had ZERO benefits.

Captain Dumbass said...

Awesome work with the potty training. As for super powers, I'd like to be able to transport myself different places. Flying is great and all but where we live, flying in the rain would suck.

Irrational Dad said...

Awesome! I am petrified to start the potty training thing. Tyler's 16 months, so I've still got some time to google how it's done, I guess.

A forum that I frequent had a "Super power for a day" thread going. You could choose one power to have for exactly 24 hours and what you would use it for. Fun times.

Momo Fali said...

My husband could have used underwear power that one time he drank too much rum.

A Free Man said...

Man I wish I could get my boy interested in underwear power. He's thinking about it, but with the baby is just not ready to make the plunge.