Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Random Tuesday


My first stab at Random Tuesday:
-
First of all, huge congratulations to Xbox and his wife ET! This is the absolutely wonderful news we have been waiting a long time to hear.
-
As I headed to get an afternoon jolt of caffeine yesterday, I watched as this big rig pulled up along a busy street and parallel parked into this spot. It was an impressive display, especially given all the people I witness butchering parallel parking with their compact cars in spaces roughly the same size.
-

While walking to the our Neighborhood playground Sunday, Mrs. LIAYF, Lukas and I heard a loud noise. We turned our heads to the right and looked up in the direction of the noise only to see a woman standing buck naked in her upstairs window. Oh, how I longed for such a thing to happen for years before having a wife and son. But this time, we all averted our eyes right away.
-
Along the same street on the way home, we passed by a fenced yard where two aggressive dogs sprinted up barking loudly at us. As we passed with Lukas in the stroller, he turned to the dogs and said "Ruff You!" I couldn't have said it better.
-
I had one of those dumbass moments last Friday. Upon arriving at Luke's daycare to pick him up I ran across the mother of a little girl in his room who was pregnant and obviously due soon. "When is your due date?" I asked. "I actually had a baby boy 3 days ago" was her unfortunate reply. Yeah, that was an awkward moment.
-
For our 10th Anniverary I wrapped all my wife's gifts in Aluminum foil (official symbol along with tin), including Ding Dongs. Because I'm that kind of classy.

And finally, for months now, we have been running into a nice couple with a son who is only days older than Lukas. We have been meaning to get together for a playdate, but have only conversed on several occasions. This past Sunday, we found out that the dad, Josh, was actually a musician (he never mentioned it) and was playing at the local farmer's market a couple of blocks from our home. Turns out, he is a very talented singer/songwriter. We were duly impressed. His band is called Westerly. Here is a video (he's the lead). Let me know what you think.


12 comments:

Ed said...

Wow, you met a musician in Seattle? Unbelievable!

He's pretty good.

SciFi Dad said...

In about 10 years, you'll tell Lukas about his missed opportunity at the park, and he'll kick himself. ;)

Knatolee said...

Okay, that is one seriously amazing parallel-parking job! I wonder if the driver relished the challenge? And here I thought I was good with my little Mazda.

And James, James, James... (shaking head) Never, ever, EVER ask a woman if she's pregnant or when she's due, unless you are already 100% certain she is pregnant! You poor man.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Ed - Yes, a big shocker there. And yes, he is pretty darn good.

@Scifi - Ha! He will probably want me to point out the house.

@Knatolee - Yeah, I know. I know. It was a mental slip.

DCUrbanDad said...

Wow, dude. I am surprised you are still alive. That was a rookie mistake.

Nice randomness. Feels good huh?

Lady Mama said...

Haha, someone asked me when I was "due" about two weeks after I'd had my first son (who I was holding in my arms at the time). I glared at the lady and told her I wasn't expecting. She backed away from me slowly.

Now I'm off to find out what a "Ding Dong" is...

Keely said...

"Ruff you" - awesome.

And yeah, unless YOU were the one who knocked a woman up, it's best not to ask.

Ding dongs in tinfoil? Where do I sign up??

Martin said...

Thank you, very much.

:-)

James (SeattleDad) said...

@DC - Yeah, me too. We all have a brain fart once in a while. That was mine.

@Lady Mama - Wow, you have never experienced the magic of a Ding Dong? Seriously? Do they not have them in Canada?

@Keely - 'Ruff you' (In this context it means 'thank you'. Dogs just don't have that many words to use, you know.)

@Xbox - I hope this means the blog will stay, but with a new focus.

Dad Stuff said...

Very impressive and very random list.
Don't you know you never comment on a female's weight, age, hair or pregnancy?

Captain Dumbass said...

Nice first time Random Tuesday. Some of those big rig drivers are AMAZING. Makes me feel very manly when I can't even get my mini van straight in a parking lot.

Daycare lady? Ouch.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Dad Stuff - I learned my lesson. Problem is, it was a lesson I already knew. Doesn't stop the crap from just flowing right out.

@Captain - Those big rig drivers must just shake thier heads disgust at what they see.

Yeah, it was an Ouch all right. I will be looking to compliment her when I see her a couple of months from now. I will just need to be careful not to over sell it.