Sunday, January 4, 2009

Extra Crispy

The year is new, the weekend is ending, and the decorations are finally packed away (thus, thankfully spared anymore indignant abuse at the hands of our extremely "touchy-feely" toddler). Although the ornament casualty count was higher than I expected, I do consider our decorating experience a success as we survived without anything burning down, or any blood being shed.

There were plenty of tears however. Most notably after a run in with the jolly red guy with the fake white beard, but also a couple of times after certain glass items shattered, leaving Mrs. LIAYF and I running to protect our startled little guy.

Today also marks the end of a nearly two week hiatus from all things (ok, mostly) work related. And that is a very sad thought as this has been one of those rare occasions where I could spend extended quality time at home with my wife and son. Spending the time with them has been a blast. We laughed, we cried, we partied, we ate too much. I really don't want to go back. Not yet at least.
-
I practiced this with Lukas before the decorations came down and it worked great, so if anyone else out there needs a bit of help letting go, repeat after me:

Bye Bye lights!

Bye Bye ornaments!

Bye Bye tree!

Bye Bye vacation!

On a final subject, I feel about like our tree looks right now. A bit wilted, dried out, and having seen my better days. However, with the new year comes renewed hope, right? And with Lukas becoming increasingly active every day, it is becoming painfully obvious that if I don't get myself into better shape soon, I will never be able to keep up with him. This is not a resolution, but I do plan on beginning a new workout schedule. Starting tomorrow of course.
-
I will let you know how it goes.
-
P.S. - I did, in fact, get up early Monday and put in a 20 minute jog on my treadmill. It felt great!!

11 comments:

Eric said...

the sad part is... no, no vacation!

Ed (zoesdad) said...

I may start something tomorrow as well. Like Annie says--it's only a day away.

Anonymous said...

Bye bye...

Jason Roth said...

I deChristmasfied our house the day after. I was done with it. Our ornament casualty count was relatively low. I think we only loss two. Unfortunately, blood was shed for one of them.

I too head back to work tomorrow after a two week Winter break. I'm not looking forward to it. I'm also wondering how the morning is going to be after sleeping in everyday during my vacation.

Martin said...

I like my down time. I pretty much loved this Christmas break for the peace & quiet.

Alas...

Diane said...

We packed up our decorations the day after Christmas. I know, I know, bad Mommy, but I couldn't take it. Our decoration casualties consisted of 2 snow globes. Glad to hear you and your family had a wonderful holiday!

SciFi Dad said...

I hear you... after two weeks off, work seems so... blah.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Eric - Sorry you couldn't have one too.

@Ed - I did it man, I did it!

@MTAE - Very, Good. Very, Good!

@VegasDad - I would take it all down a couple of days after if Mrs. LIAYF was for it. I don't see that happening though.

@Xbox - I have to go back to work for the peace and quiet.

@Diane- We lost two snow globes as well. Bad year for them.

@SciFi - It didn't help that my work was chaotic today either. It made me appreciate getting home all the more.

Scary Mommy said...

Glad you had a nice time at home! My husband was DYING To get back to work yesterday, LOL! And I'm SO glad to have the kids back at school and him back at work. Ahhhhhhhhh... :)

Anonymous said...

Do I need to bring back the challenge for you?

Getting back into the swing of things has been rough. I had a great 2 weeks off.

Now even harder to get back my blogging groove.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Scary Mommy - It is kinda nice to have some 'me' time, isn't it.

@DC - Inertia is a great thing. Unfortunately it happens with things we can't continue with as well.