Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Big 1-0-0!

(Lukas, 100 minutes old) -

My blog has reached a major milestone - One Hundred Posts! Now that I have reached the 100th post, I think I can go into syndication. I have already received several inquiries from some to remain unnamed island nations who are eager to sign a deal. Wish me luck. If that comes to pass, forget what I mentioned a couple of posts ago about not intending to make money off of this blog. I never said it. (Note to self: polish up on Jedi mind trick).
-
Until then, you can always view the best of LIAYF, which features my 100 personal favorite posts. Nothing fancy, just check out the right hand navigation pane and you will be rewarded with hours of reading pleasure.

I wish I had been better prepared for this event. I am sure I would have made amazingly profound observations about my experiences as a new father. But that is not going to happen. So, I present to you this less stellar but no less sincere alternative list.
-
Top 10 things (off the top of my head) that I have learned from fatherhood:

10. New parents can still function for weeks on end with only a couple of hours sleep a night.
9. If you're convinced that you are prepared for those first few months you are naive, period.
8. Mess happens. Over and over and over.
7. Somehow having one child increases laundry and dishes tenfold. See #8.
6. Your child is a very receptive audience for your lame humor.
5. It's much easier to meet new people and make friends when you have a child.
4. Even people with the best intentions secretly compare their child's development with other kids of the same age.
3. If smiles and laughter are the currency of children, then we must be wealthy!
2. Crazy glue, Schmazy glue. The bond between a mother and a newborn is the stongest bond in the universe.
1. There is no better feeling in this world than the love of a child.

11 comments:

Darren said...

Congrats on 100! I told those guys who said you jumped the shark around post 5 or 6 that they were nuts.

I like the new header too.

Martin said...

congratulations, quite a body of work built up.

Just you wait until Lucas can read it...

Anonymous said...

Happy 100th.

You now if you were in england you'd get a telegram from the queen.

SciFi Dad said...

Congrats on reaching this milestone.

Now, 100 things you learned instead of 10 would have been more impressive, and ultimately easier in the long run. Now when you hit 200 you'll have to do list of 14.142 items... how will you accomplish that?

Anonymous said...

Congrats James! You're now a centanarian ;-)

Jason Roth said...

Congratulations. And, great list. It's all so true.

Sandra said...

Congratulations! And yep, no parent ever died of a lack of sleep ;)

So you gonna do it again?

Whit said...

The big time! Congrats.

James (SeattleDad) said...

@Darren - I actually went around the shark.

@Xbox - By the time Lukas can read it, there should be a massive archieve built up.

@Dan - I actually got my telegram from the Queen yesterday! Given that I can trace my ancestry back to England in the 1500's she gave me a pass.

@@Sci-Fi - Complicated algorithm should do it.

@Jeremy - Thanks, I feel so old.

@VegasDad - So true indeed, especially the lame humor one.

@TW- I was going to google that to see if it was true but I am too lazy.

@Whit - Thanks. Big time only in my head, and even that's debateable.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed your anniversary. Congrats!

Ed (zoesdad) said...

Huge milestone, man. Huge. And very good observations. #9 in particular.