Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Next Stop, The Materhorn?

I was going through some recent photos Mrs. LIAYF took of Lukas and I laughed a bit to myself about this one. At first it reminded me of the yodeling mountain climber from 'The Price is Right' game show. That was, until I Googled that term and actually resolved the mental picture I had with the real thing, which was a mountain climber in lederhosen with a pick axe, actually hiking upright up the mountain. It's funny how certain images trigger memories from childhood.

As demonstrated in this photo, Luke has shown an insatiable propensity towards climbing. As such we have to be very careful of where he is at all times so we can mitigate the inevitable falls that go along with it (Mrs. LIAYF was close behind him all the way to the top). I am very excited about the climbing though, and hope it translates to when he is a bit older. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are lucky to have abundant, accessible and scenic hiking trails suitable to all skill levels. I look forward to the day when I can take my little guy out on day trips to hike, explore, and generally enjoy the beautiful outdoors we are lucky enough to live amongst.

Yes, the benefits of having a child seem endless. The least of which is daydreaming of all the great things you are going to do together! Including, of course, following close behind him to catch him when he falls.

3 comments:

Whit said...

I'm sure they sell baby lederhosen.

SciFi Dad said...

My daughter went from immobile to stair climbing in a matter of days. Once she could crawl, her first order of business was to get herself to the upstairs bathroom where she took her baths. (There was a light-up rubber duck that she loved. She used to climb the stairs with purpose, uttering "Duck" over and over as she climbed.)

However, climbing is a gateway drug... now you have to watch for anything that can be used as a makeshift step (and not just ladders... we're talking low toy boxes, small piles of books, packing boxes...)

Have fun, and try and keep count how many times your heart stops over the next few months.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Whit - I need to get the father/son pack of lederhosen for those great hikes I have planned.

Scifi - Wow, you leave me a lot to think of. It's just getting started, but I can only imagine how many times my heart will stop over the next few years! It's all part of being a parent, so I will take the fun along with the scary.

I can imagine your daughter climbing those stairs saying 'duck'. Sounds priceless.