Saturday, March 8, 2008

Once Bitten!


News of note out of Seattle this past week: You can earn 4000 Washingtons for a mere week's work! And as a bonus, for the week you also get nice hotel accommodations!

With the current cost of full time infant day care cha-chinging in at an almost budget busting $1400 at month, earning nearly 3 months of daycare cost while taking one of my available vacation weeks from work would normally sound enticing. However there is one small catch.....you have to be bitten by mosquito's infected with Malaria!!

Yes, you read that correctly, that's Malaria as in fever, chills, headache, sweats, fatigue, nausea, vomiting and, oh yes, the occasional death as a result of the culmination of these, to say the least, 'unpleasant' symptoms! Well, the result shouldn't lead to death in these Seattle cases as the strain in question is non-lethal (or so they say, but I wouldn't want to be the one poor bastard who ends up being the exception), and the patients are under medical supervision and can be cured.

This is all in the name of researching a vaccine for Malaria which is a good thing. And hey, what's a few days having what amounts to 'flu-like' symptoms to help find a cure for one of history's most deadly infectious diseases? Ok, I admit I have not reached that level of desperation yet, but I would be curious how many other fathers, or mothers for that matter, in these depressed economic times would seriously consider taking part in a study such as this to earn some extra cash and to make ends meet until they get back on their feet.

If you decide to come to Seattle to partake in this 'Paid Vacation', please let me know and feel free to drop by for a visit. That is, of course, after you have been cured!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh.. I couldn't do it! Even with the sweet pay! The risk vs. pay sure makes you think about though.

KristyCK said...

Wow....$4000 plus accomondation sounds so tempting. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad but I am gonna pass....hihi. :-))

Resim said...

Grandpa's home remedy - take a lot of Vitamin C and rub some dirt on the bite - you'll throw their whole test results off and make a bundle!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Darrin, let me know if you decide to partake . . . I'll invite you over for a beer and you can fill me in on the torture.

It is tempting, BM, but a paid malaria vacation is not my idea of a good time.

Thanks for the tip, Jeremy. That's the way my grandpa would have done it too. I, however, am still not that desperate. Check back later when gas goes to $5 a gallon (see my recent post).